Monday, March 26, 2007

Giggs sets sights on Euro glory

Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs insists he will not rest until the Reds have added another European Cup to their trophy cabinet.

The 33-year-old winger - United's most decorated player - is driven by the pain of "missed opportunities" to hold the trophy aloft one more time before he calls time on a glittering career.

His peerless form, after 16 years of frontline action at Old Trafford, has been a key factor in United leading Chelsea down the home straight of the Premiership run-in and making it through to a Champions League quarter-final clash against Roma.

"Having tasted victory in 1999, it is a burning desire of mine to win the European Cup again," he tells Champions, the official magazine of the UEFA Champions League.

"I saw what it meant to the fans and what it did in terms of recognition for Manchester United and I want to experience it again.

"If I retired having won just the one Champions League, I would feel disappointed. To go for seven or eight years after that 1999 win and not match that night ever again would be a let down.

"I only say this because over that period United have had teams that have been capable. I've been lucky enough to have won almost every major trophy on more than one occasion - the European Cup is the sole exception. I'm so determined to do it."

Giggs has scored 26 goals in 91 European appearances and shows no sign of losing his effectiveness as United spearhead a three-team English assault on the trophy. He reveals that fear and disappointment keep him performing at such a high level.

"My drive has never been about the buzz of winning. I'm driven by the fear of disappointment and losing," he adds. "The winning buzz fades quickly. The main thrill is making it to the top.

"When you're there, it's like, OK great, but what now? You go on holiday and by the time you return, it's all forgotten. Those empty summers where I've sat on the beach thinking about missed opportunities have been horrible.

"They are what stick in my mind, more so than the wins." [Via]

No comments: